Post-secondary Community Challenge
Recruit and Selection Unit is teaming up with Post-secondary Institutions across Edmonton to challenge students to give back in a meaningful way.
Community Challenge Entries (submissions now closed).
See the entries RSU received from 3 amazing teams; interdisciplinary post-secondary students from across Edmonton.
Team 1 (Evan, Richard, Kobe, Paolo & Joebert). A group of interdisciplinary friends studying mathematics, engineering, and policing and investigative studies at U of A, Concordia University and Grant MacEwan University (respectively).
This team decided to donate blood, purchased new winter necessities such as gloves, toques and socks to donate at the Bissell Centre AND even worked an evening shift at Edmonton's Food Bank preparing dozens of hampers to be donated and sent to groups across Edmonton! A trifecta of giving back!
Team 2 (Jacey & Ariel). A power team studying criminology at the University of Alberta.
This team spun their wheels! -- turning their personal car into a delivery service for the Canadian Volunteers United in Action Society (CANAVUA). Not only did they deliver dozens of hot meals to seniors and community groups, the side of cheer was free! (masks couldn’t cover the charisma from these two!)
Team 3 (Taina, Joshua, Gina, Braden, Madysan, Kennedy & Matthew). The Concordia University Curling team studying science, arts, management and education.
When restrictions prevented this team of curlers from hosting their originally planned fundraiser, they turned to friends and family; soliciting donations totalling a whopping 98kg of food, raising over $515 for the Edmonton Food Bank and a further $570 for the Today Centre! (using their curling brooms to ensure 2m distancing, of course!). This team hit the button; sans curling stones, but brooms in hand!
Exceptional job to all participants. Thank-you for entering and helping improve our communities.
Community Challenge Guidelines - How do I enter?
1) Create your team (submit your team by Nov. 9, 2020 to: JoinEPS@gmail.com)
- Create teams of 2-10 people from your Institution
- Include your team name, first + last name, email and program you are registered in
- Up to 3 teams may be entered per post-secondary institution
- Team members do not have to be registered in the same program to enter
2) Give Back* (submit your chosen charity/nonprofit by Nov. 13, 2020 to: JoinEPS@gmail.com)
- How can your team help make a difference in your community? Choose a local non-profit or charity your team wishes to support
- Do your best to think of local agencies that may need extra help with winter, and the holidays approaching
- The goal of the challenge is to promote community engagement and build relationships with stakeholders in our community
- Please email your chosen charity/nonprofit idea for review/approval by RSU staff by Nov. 13, 2020
- *Please ensure you adhere to local and provincial guidelines and regulations for COVID-19 while considering your activity and idea
3) Enter to Win (submit your completed team entry by Dec. 4, 2020)
- We want to recognize great individual and team effort for students who are willing to go beyond their studies to help give back
- To submit your entry, please write a brief summary, and provide pictures* / video showing your team in action! (bloopers are bonus)
- Email your entries to JoinEPS@gmail.com. We will be sharing them on our Social Media channels, website and intranet to spread the great work
- *Note: Please ensure any pictures or video taken of individuals, teams or organizations must have expressed permission to do so. Pictures and video submitted to JoinEPS for the ‘Give Back, Community Challenge’ accept that the photos and video may be used on Edmonton Police Service social media accounts, stories and websites
- For more information please contact: JoinEPS@gmail.com
Competing teams will have the opportunity to earn their chance at the following prizes:
- Recruit Selection Unit Prize Pack (consisting of personalized sessions with RSU Recruiters, 1 on 1 mentoring and more!)
- Personalized EPS Gear
- Bragging rights on improving your community!
View Challenge Details and Guidelines