The Edmonton Police Service is now accepting applications online through a provincial-wide application website. Prior to applying online, you must ensure you meet the minimum requirements below. After ensuring you meet those requirements, complete information on how to apply online can be found in Stage 1 of our application process.
The EPS selection process is a fair way to ensure that the best candidates are offered employment. Recruitment standards are high and the selection process is tough, but achievable. The EPS has minimum requirements that must be met, but meeting these alone does not guarantee suitability.
Candidates either do or do not possess the basic qualifications set forth. No exceptions will be made to the established standards. To be considered, an applicant must:
- be a minimum of 18 years of age at the time of application;
- possess an Alberta high school diploma (or equivalent)* ;
- have good moral character;
- be in excellent health and physical condition;
- meet visual and hearing examination standards;
- be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident;
- possess a valid driver’s licence with a maximum of five demerits (graduated driver’s licence not accepted);
- have good written and verbal communications skills; and
- not have a criminal conviction for which a pardon has not been granted.
* The EPS prefers its applicants to have two years of recent and verifiable employment with the same employer or two years of post-secondary education.
The selection process typically takes from two to four months. Recruitment is ongoing and we are currently accepting applications.
Applicants are advised that any costs associated with the application process are borne by the applicant and are not reimbursed by the Edmonton Police Service, for example; vision test, hearing test, obtaining a Driver’s Abstract, High School Transcript, First Aid and CPR certification, vision or hearing surgery, or physician’s fee for medical clearance to run the APREP. The cost of any of the above may vary from one provider to another and may vary between provinces; applicants should contact providers directly to enquire about costs. There is no application submission fee, exam fees or APREP fee.